Skip to content

Church History

In 1744, the Rev. Jonathan Lee rode into this “wilderness” on horseback to become our first pastor. In New England tradition, our first Meetinghouse served as the center of political, social, and religious assembly. Our present Meeting House, built in 1800, remains as a living example of Puritan simplicity.

The Congregational Church of Salisbury is part of the United Church of Christ (UCC), a denomination formed in 1957 with the merger of two church bodies: the Evangelical and Reformed Church, and the Congregational Christian Church.

The timeline below highlights major dates in the congregation’s history. A written history of the church’s first 250 years may be read by clicking here.


Salisbury established
Settlers petition General Court for “town privileges and liberty to imbody in church estate.”
The Church gathers; Pastor Jonathan Lee installed

The Church is formed and the Rev. Jonathan Lee installed as Minister in a log house 30 x 25 feet, which served as the Lee family home as well as the place of worship.

The First Meetinghouse

The First Meeting House was built for worship and town meetings where the Town Hall now stands: 45 feet long by 35 feet wide. Residents gathered at “sabba day houses” between services for lunch, warmth, and socialization.

The Rev. Jonathan Lee, RIP

The Rev. Jonathan Lee dies and is buried in graveyard behind Town Hall.

2nd pastor: The Rev. Joseph Warren Crossman

The Rev. Joseph Warren Crossman called as second minister.

The 3rd Meetinghouse

The present Meetinghouse was erected measuring 64×45 feet. All town residents required to contribute money or building material.

1804

Separation of Church and State – Ecclesiastical Society formed.

Pastor Crossman, RIP

The Rev. Crossman dies while ministering to the sick during an epidemic of typhoid pleurisy.

3rd pastor: The Rev. Lavius Hyde

The Rev. Lavius Hyde called as the Church’s third settled pastor.

4th pastor: The Rev. Leonard Lathrop

The Rev. Leonard Lathrop called as the Church’s fourth settled pastor.

5th Pastor: The Rev. Adam Reid

The Rev. Adam Reid begins 40 year ministry. “The spell binder” packs the Meeting House Sunday after Sunday

First parsonage

First parsonage built.

Architectural modernization

Square pews, high Pulpit and original Ionic pillars are “swept away by the modernizing wave.”

The Bell

Present steeple bell, weighing over 1,000 lbs., struck at Troy and placed in the belfry.

Lay-led ministry to intellectually disabled

Notable layman Dr. Henry M. Knight opens first institution for training of the “mentally retarded.”

Musical innovation

Church organ replaces use of stringed instruments.

8th Pastor: The Rev. John Calvin Goddard

John Calvin Goddard begins 60 years of service as Pastor and Pastor Emeritus

More musical experimentation

Organ and choir pews are moved to front of the Meetinghouse.

Hotchkiss founded

Preparatory School founded by Maria Hotchkiss.

150 years

One Hundredth and Fiftieth Anniversary attended by over 400

Current Meeting House and Watering Kettle, Circa 1900

Further remodeling

Church remodeled and organ installed in the balcony.

The Upkeep Society

Upkeep Society came into being for fellowship and raising money for the maintenance of the Parsonage.

12th pastor: The Rev. Lawrence Stone

The Rev. Lawrence Stone begins 21 years of service as 12th Pastor.