In 1744, the Rev. Jonathan Lee rode into this “wilderness” on horseback to become our first pastor. In New England tradition, our first Meetinghouse served as the center of political, social, and religious assembly. Our present Meeting House, built in 1800, remains as a living example of Puritan simplicity.
The Congregational Church of Salisbury is part of the United Church of Christ (UCC), a denomination formed in 1957 with the merger of two church bodies: the Evangelical and Reformed Church, and the Congregational Christian Church.
The timeline below highlights major dates in the congregation’s history. A written history of the church’s first 250 years may be read by clicking here.
Settlers petition General Court for “town privileges and liberty to imbody in church estate.”
The Church is formed and the Rev. Jonathan Lee installed as Minister in a log house 30 x 25 feet, which served as the Lee family home as well as the place of worship.
The First Meeting House was built for worship and town meetings where the Town Hall now stands: 45 feet long by 35 feet wide. Residents gathered at “sabba day houses” between services for lunch, warmth, and socialization.
The Rev. Jonathan Lee dies and is buried in graveyard behind Town Hall.
The Rev. Joseph Warren Crossman called as second minister.
The present Meetinghouse was erected measuring 64×45 feet. All town residents required to contribute money or building material.
Separation of Church and State – Ecclesiastical Society formed.
The Rev. Crossman dies while ministering to the sick during an epidemic of typhoid pleurisy.
The Rev. Lavius Hyde called as the Church’s third settled pastor.
The Rev. Leonard Lathrop called as the Church’s fourth settled pastor.
The Rev. Adam Reid begins 40 year ministry. “The spell binder” packs the Meeting House Sunday after Sunday
Square pews, high Pulpit and original Ionic pillars are “swept away by the modernizing wave.”
Present steeple bell, weighing over 1,000 lbs., struck at Troy and placed in the belfry.
Notable layman Dr. Henry M. Knight opens first institution for training of the “mentally retarded.”
Church organ replaces use of stringed instruments.
John Calvin Goddard begins 60 years of service as Pastor and Pastor Emeritus
Organ and choir pews are moved to front of the Meetinghouse.
Preparatory School founded by Maria Hotchkiss.
One Hundredth and Fiftieth Anniversary attended by over 400
Current Meeting House and Watering Kettle, Circa 1900
Church remodeled and organ installed in the balcony.
Upkeep Society came into being for fellowship and raising money for the maintenance of the Parsonage.
The Rev. Lawrence Stone begins 21 years of service as 12th Pastor.